England's Gardens: A Modern History by Stephen Parker
We may all feel we know what an "English" garden is, but do we really? England's Gardens offers a holistic, modern-day tour and an update on the history of some of the most iconic, enduring, and influential gardens across the country. A fresh take on a much-loved subject, this book will help you get to know England's gardens up close and personal. Garden historian Stephen Parker leads you through England's horticultural history, unearthing the cultural context and hidden stories behind the gardens, and bringing lesser-known garden makers to the fore.
In five detailed historical chapters, Parker explores the making of the so-called "English" garden - from its origins in the formal splendour of stately homes, all the way to climate-change resilience and future-facing designs of the modern era. Inside the pages of this stunning book on England's country gardens, you will find:
- 5 chapters of detailed narrative essays arranged in chronological order
- Detailed profiles showcasing significant garden makers
- More than 20 photography-led garden case studies explore key gardens to visit in England today, including Perennial's The Laskett
- Stunning contemporary photography, bringing the gardens to life
- Archival photography and historical art, shedding light on the history and making of the gardens.
From iconic sites like Sissinghurst and Great Dixter, to more unusual examples such as Prospect Cottage and The Laskett - this book celebrates England's gardens in all their glorious diversity, sublime beauty, and exuberant eccentricity.
Hardback, 224 pages, 197 x 255 x 25 mm. Published 2023.